Tuesday, July 3: 2Corinthians 13- Practical steps to deepen your faith.

Paul has a way of calling readers to deeper faith. Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you (11).

Rejoice… take time to recognize all the ways God is with you and has blessed you. The fact that we have breath in our lungs and know the love of the Savior is reason enough to rejoice!

Strive for full restoration… I am not sure what 'restoration' to which Paul is referring. But it seems plausible that Paul is calling us to strive for full maturity, full renewal in Jesus. The word 'strive' calls me to put my 'back into it,' to give my faith effort and will power, to work at it. I enjoy watching sports and the best athletes are always working and practicing and receiving coaching to become better. That's what I hear in the word 'strive' => work to grow in your faith. Give it effort!

Encourage one another… an interesting element of encouragement is that I often find myself encouraged. When I spur others on to love and good deeds, God seems to work in me to spur me on to love and good deeds as well. Giving myself away to others, God never fails to replenish me. 

Be of one mind, live at peace… focus on Jesus. He is our center and our hope and thinking upon Jesus we can all be of one mind; His mind. Live at peace; don't be a rabble-rouser; don't stir up trouble, instead be a calming influence on the people around you.

Do these things and God will be with you. Ahh, to know the presence of the Lord in the midst of life. This will certainly lead me to rejoice. And so I find myself back where I began… Rejoice!

Simple, practical, helpful is Your Word to me today. Now, Lord, help me to strive to live it. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment