Mark 13 Watch.

 

I am not an ‘end-times’ fanatic trying to figure out when Jesus will return like many do. I am also not nervous that the apocalypse is drawing near. You don’t have to be a Christian to dwell on the apocalypse. How many movies are made with the end of the world as its theme?

Reading this chapter, the word “watch” flashes like a neon sign. As Jesus unfolds pictures of the end for His disciples, He gives particular instruction at least twice… Watch out that no one deceives you (5), and again at the conclusion He says, "Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back… . If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!'" (35-37).

Watch out… keep watch… watch!

Jesus is not simply instructing followers to watch for the signs of the times, He is saying, “Watch your life. Don’t be caught sleeping, i.e. slacking off, not doing what the Master would not want you to be doing…”

Jesus is saying to me (and I believe others, too), keep at your post, be alert, be diligent in following Me, and when I return, which will be at an hour no one but the Father knows (32-34), you will be ready for it.

Lord Jesus, build in me diligence, fortitude, steadfastness, stick-to-it-ness. Jesus, help me by Your Holy Spirit to keep my hand to the plow and looking straight ahead. I love You, Jesus and I want to be ready whenever You return. And should I die before You return, I want to finish my race well. And  that my life, till its end this side of eternity, gives You all the honor and glory that I am able to give.

To God be the glory, great things You have done…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment