Thursday, January 20: Acts 20- What will you say at the end?

Among Frank Sinatra’s famous songs was “I Did it My Way.” I am guessing that you have heard it. It is an ode to self, to the strength of human character, who needs no one else but does it on his/her own. It could be the theme song to American rugged individualism.

Paul, I believe, would have sung a different song. “I Did it God’s Way” might have been his song’s title, or maybe “To God be the Glory.”

Verse 24 communicates a great deal about the focus of Paul’s life.  I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

With the subtlety of a 2x4-to-the-head, I hear a question in my heart: “Bill, what’s the focus of your life? What song are you singing…?”

Seems to me those questions are appropriate for all of us… Think about it.

Jesus, I think I am a mixed bag, sometimes singing Your song, often singing mine. Forgive me when I stray from the way You have for me and journey in thedirection I want to go. More than forgiveness, I pray for strength to finish the race and complete the task You have for me…

To You be the glory… Amen and Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment