Friday, July 15: 1Corinthians 13- Love

In our American culture this chapter has become connected to marriage. Although it is certainly fitting to read this incredible description of love at a wedding, we must not pigeonhole this definition with marriage only. In its original context it is written to a divided church and this definition of love is applicable to almost any interpersonal situation. Listen to the heart of the chapter again and apply it to any situation that springs to mind:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails (4-8a).

Like the ripples radiating out from a stone tossed into a lake, I plumbed my living up against this definition, considering my ever-widening circles of relationships of my life: to my wife & family, extended family, friends, church, community…

Lord, I weighed my living and came up wanting. I need so much growth… not easily angered, keeps no records of wrongs… is kind, always perseveres… O, God, I realize again how much I need Your strength to live as You would have me live. Grow Your  fruit (Gal 5:22-23) in my life.  I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment