Saturday, October 11: 2John- Love & Truth.

Love and truth leap off the page at me this morning.

Love… the way we are to act toward one another. John then defines love as ‘obedience to the Father’s commands (6), which is that we ‘walk in love’ (6)'.’

This seems to reiterate what God said yesterday… love = obedience to the Father’s commands.

But now truth bursts on to the page. Truth is known in Jesus. Jesus presented by the teachings of Scripture. Scripture becomes our defining source of truth. Don’t run ahead of the truth of Scripture John writes because when we do we loose our connection to the Son and Father (9).

Truth… objective, life defining, truth found in Scripture tells us who Jesus is.

Love… obeying the Father’s commands found in Scripture defines how we are to live!

Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, will be with us in truth and love (3).

Oh, God, keep me grounded in truth, Your truth, the truth found in Scripture. Keep me in the Word. Give me devotional moments and teaching moments… words and encouragement for me as well as understanding of Your will, way and Word, that I might know Your Word is right.

And, Lord, fill my heart with Love… love for the brethren, love for the saints, love for the world, love for the lost, love for my enemies…

Through Jesus, Who came in love, bringing grace and truth. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment