Monday, August 20: Acts 10- Obedience.

The mission of God to witness to Jesus to the ends of the earth is gaining momentum. In chapter 8 persecution scatters Christ-followers throughout Judea and Samaria. In chapter 9 we learn of Saul's conversion and read of God's Word to him, This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel (Acts 9:15).

Now in chapter 10 we read of Peter's dramatic vision and his travel to Cornelius where Gentiles encounter the Lord Jesus. Although not the first Gentile, we already read of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:26), Peter's account is most certainly a break-through moment in the early church.

Peter, by his own admission, has be scrupulous in following the traditions of the Jewish faith not eating unclean food or venturing into Gentile homes (14 & 28). However, believing God has directed him to go, Peter obediently goes to see Cornelius. Absolute obedience.

I reflect for a few moments on the obedience of Peter.

In response to a God-given vision and the internal witness of the Spirit, regarding the understanding of the vision coupled with the corroborating invitation of Cornelius' delegation inviting Peter to come and speak, Peter goes without question. Even though a vision, internal witness and circumstances form a strong foundation for discerning God's will, Peter must overcome life-long habits, instinct and religious training to be obedient to God's radical call to consort with Gentiles.

I sense it is significant for the early church that Peter is the one leading the way. A lesser apostle may not have had the clout to steer the entire faith into converting and accepting Gentiles. Still God goes the extra mile by accompanying the conversion of Gentiles at Cornelius' house with manifestations similar to Pentecost confirming that this is a work of God Almighty!

Stepping back I am drawn to Peter's absolute obedience despite personal costs. I wonder if I have the drive to obedience that Peter had. I haven't ever had the confluence of dramatic callings that Peter had on this day, but I certainly have had promptings. And my history of obedience is mixed... I have much growth still to go in my life.

Lord, what training must I undergo to grow in obedience? Work in me, Lord. I am Yours. Through Jesus Christ, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment