Thursday, August 23: Acts 13- A man after God's own heart.

In the midst of Paul's long statement leading to Jesus and God's message of the Gospel, I found myself strangely drawn to God's comment describing David, King of Israel, 'I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do' (22).

David wasn't perfect, far from it in fact. Still God calls him a man after my own heart. I love that description. I don't know of a higher complement God could pay a human.

That phrase is a call to me… become a man of whom God could say, here is a man after my own heart.

I am heartened to know that a person does not need to be perfect to be a man after my own heart, because if perfection was required an epitaph like that would be out of reach for me or any of us. I know I am not there; still that phrase draws me to God. Oh, to be God's man, a person longing to be in tune with God,

God's estimation of David grows richer, he will do everything I want him to do. I suspect that this trait shows how David is a man after God's own heart. David lived to obey God and to do the Lord's bidding.

And this second line gives a basic roadway to becoming a man after God's own heart… do what God wants you to do.

Oh, God, I pray for strength to do what You want, to be Your man and to live a life that pleases You. In Jesus' name and for the sake of advancing Your name around the globe, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment