Wednesday, November 14: Isaiah 56- God cares for all people and so should I.

 

This chapter strikes a resonant cord with me. The opening reminds me that we should keep first things first. This is what the LORD says: "Maintain justice and do what is right, for my salvation is close at hand and my righteousness will soon be revealed (1).

Maintain justice… it is so easy to devolve into life that is all about me. Me, me, me. I, I, I. To maintain justice means I have to lift my eyes from myself and scan the world. See what is happening and then do what I can to make sure everyone is being treated with fairness and justice. To maintain justice I have to look out for people who are looked past and looked over and do what I can to rectify situations and systems that are unjust.

This is not easy… to maintain justice I have to buck trends and swim upstream. In our world I have to be prepared to seem like an odd person who cares about others over self and/or over the advancement of certain privileged segments of society.

Maintain justice…

Then later in the chapter the prophet declares that God's arms are open to the eunuch. The eunuch was an imperfect person who was excluded from the house of God. Now the doors are open for the eunuch who keeps the Sabbath and covenant (4). And from this position of openness Isaiah goes on to declare for God that my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations (8). This is a powerful statement and one that Jesus quotes in Mark 11:7.

As I ponder my reading I see a house of prayer for all nations connecting with maintaining justice… God cares for all… God loves all. And we, his people, need to work to see these values of God are fulfilled in this world to the best of our ability.

Lord, today help me to keep my eyes open for the needs of justice. If there are things I can do to advance justice, give me strength to do those things. Along with this, Lord, help me to willingly share Your love with all people, people from all nations and tribes and tongues to the best of my ability. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment