Tuesday, October 18: Mark 14- .

Smack in the middle of the Garden of Gethsemane story there was a line that hit me. Jesus speaking to Peter who was asked to stand watch over Jesus fell asleep. Upon his return Jesus confronts Peter and concludes with these words:  Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak (38).

This honest assessment burrowed deeply into me this morning.

What particularly hit me was the weakness of the flesh. How often I want to do this or that good thing, but when it comes around I just don’t have the willpower or drive to do it.

Serving the poor is a good thing to do. However, when asked to give up a weekend or a part of vacation, saying ‘yes’ is much more difficult and may not happen.

Giving a tithe to the church and offerings to other Christian ministries is great, but becomes much tougher when I have to write the check.

Witnessing to Jesus is an admonition throughout the NT, but working faith into conversations can be more difficult

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak

Lord, give me the strength and boldness to follow through with all those behaviors I know would honor you. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment