Monday, July 2: 2Corinthians 12- Messy lives.

Paul's description of the church of Corinth is not pretty, and that is being polite. The closing words of the chapter describe Paul's fears about what he might find when he goes to Corinth.

For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged (20-21).

My bolded words highlight what Paul fears he may find. Uuugh.

Still these people are the Church of God in Corinth. He opens the letter writing, Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To the church of God in Corinth, together with all his holy people throughout Achaia (2Corinthians 1:1).

My thoughts fly all over the place. On the one hand they, and we, are called to live better. We are called to be holy. On the other hand, we remain imperfect human beings. We in the church are not to lower our standards; what God calls sin remains sin. But it also seems that we need to keep calling back to the Lord those who name Christ as Lord yet fall into sin.

This is a difficult balancing act… holding holiness as the goal yet understanding that sin happens. However, redemption and forgiveness is always open.

Personally, I must continue to examine myself in the light of God's Word, confessing sin and seeking God's strength to gain victory over sin so that I might grow in maturity and holiness.

No easy task…

Lord God, I have much growth needed… MUCH. Help me, lead me, guide me. For Your sake and the advancement of the Gospel. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment