Thursday, May 31: 1Corinthians 1- So true.

Slogging through the middle chapters of Job grew to be a labor of trust that God knows best. Now that Job is over I am a bit sad to see it go. It was a book rich in meditation.

1Corinthians brings me back to direct connection with Christ, which is always refreshing. Verses 17-18 caught my heart: For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

The cross of Christ… the pivotal moment and event in human history. What a rich thought to ponder.

Paul struck a nerve when he wrote, For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. The cross really does divide.

Before my heart was alive to Jesus, I didn't think much, if at all, about the cross. Oh, it hung there every Sunday when I went to Mass, but it didn't capture my attention. I won't go so far as to say I thought it was foolishness but… uncaring inattention isn't much better. And I certainly can understand how non-Christians would believe it is foolishness. I mean really, God dying –how does God die anyway –for sin-filled humans. Who comes up with this stuff? It doesn't make sense.

However, to the mind open to Christ… ah, the cross is beautiful, the source of life, the doorway to redemption, salvation, unending unfathomable love. Yes, the cross is the power of God to save sinners and defeat the devil!

Years ago I made a cross out of the name Jesus. It hangs outside my study on a grand wall. I can see it right now. So rich. So beautiful is Jesus, my Savior and His atoning death on the cross.

I marvel at the gift Jesus gave on the cross. It has been so long since I first bowed my knee to Jesus that I forget what life is like without Him and without the benefits of His cross. The cross is the power of God

My heart sings with delight for Jesus, my Savior…

All hail the power of Jesus' name, let angels prostrate fall, bring forth the royal diadem and crown Him Lord of All.

Praise to You. Jesus, King of kings and Lord of lords. I glory in Your cross because through Your cross I am saved, redeemed, restored and invited into God's family. Alleluia. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment