Friday, November 9: Isaiah 52- Good news.

The familiar ring of verse 7 invited my mediation. How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!" (7).

Immediately I recalled Romans 10:15 which quotes this verse in the context of sending people to spread the Good News of Jesus. Yes, it is beautiful when good news is spread. This was true of Jesus, the servant mentioned in Isaiah. And it is true for every one of us who advances God's name around the earth.

Next I thought about the angelic pronouncements at Jesus' birth in Luke's gospel.

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; Jesus is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests" (Luke 2:10-14). The Good News of Jesus will bring joy to all people.

From here my thoughts bounced to another Lukan passage Luke 4:18-19 a quote from Isaiah 61: "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because Jesus has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. Jesus has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." Again good news highlights the passage.

With all this about good news I sat and pondered the Good News of Jesus and all faith in Him has brought into my life. Blessings like:

Peace in times of trouble

The weight and guilt of sin lifting from my life

Never being alone in life; always knowing Jesus is with me

Guidance regularly through life

An invitation to be 'a good news sharer' with my world

Being at peace with God

I cannot imagine life without God always being present. The joy and peace promised in those words about God's Good News is true. I proclaim it. I feel it. I have experienced it.

Jesus, thank You for taking on the life of the servant and for saving me and hundreds of millions of others who confess You as Lord and Savior. In Your name Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment