Monday, December 13: Luke 11- Hanging on his words.

This chapter is filled with words, thoughts and teachings by Jesus. There are many parallels to Matthew’s Sermon on the Mount (chapters 5-7).

What occurred to me as I read is how people hung on Jesus’ words. It opens with the disciples who have watched Jesus pray asking him, “How should we pray?” They hungered for Jesus’ teaching on the matter.

After teaching on this and other topics the scene shifts. Jesus casts out a mute demon and reading the crowd, He begins to teach some spiritual principles around casting out of demons. The people (crowds, the text reads) hang on His words.

The crowd swells and Jesus widens His teaching gaze… and so the chapter goes. Jesus teaching; people listening, processing, even interacting.

My mind and spirit began to muse, “Do I listen to Jesus with the intensity of the disciples, crowds, others? Do I interact with Jesus and his teaching?”

The opposite I suppose is letting Jesus’ words roll off my back and drop to the ground without affecting me? (I hope Jesus wouldn’t accuse me of this.)

Which do I do? Such is my soul searching this morning…

Lord, my head acknowledges that Your word is truth.  Do I live out that truth? Lord, help me grow in curiosity of Your word. Help me grow in interest for Your word, for the direction it will give, the correction it supplys, and the help it always offers. Help me be attentive to You and Your word, Lord…. In Your name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment