Thursday, October 20: Isaiah 49- Beneficiary and ambassador.

In this marvelous chapter of hope and rescue there was a promise of God’s redemption reaching out to the Gentiles.  Yes, Israel was the apple of God’s eye but from the call of Abram, it was God’s intention to bless the nations (Genesis 12:3 to Abram: I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.). In verse 6, God’s promise to bless the nations is bestowed upon His servant. "It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."

The servant of the Lord, who we know to be Jesus, is shining God’s light to the ends of the earth through His church. This verse is the seed of the Great Commission (Matthew 28 and Acts 1:8, and elsewhere).

One of my first thoughts is that I am a beneficiary of this promise. As a Gentile I am a partial fulfillment of this promise. But then as I reflected further, I am also an ambassador of this promise to others…

What a picture!  I am (and very likely your are as well) a beneficiary and fulfillment of this promise and an ambassador to others of it as well…

O,God, make me an able under-servant to Your Servant and Son Jesus in the spread of Your blessing and salvation to the ends of the earth. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment