Tuesday, January 22: Genesis 19- Hospitality.

Too many times this chapter chronicles the wickedness of the human heart. Much of this chapter reviles me. The further I read into the chapter, the more uncomfortable I became with the actions of the characters in this account.

I was thankful that the impulse of the Lord to linger came early in the chapter, verse 1-3, specifically. I watched as Lot went out of his way to show hospitality to the two visitors.

Hospitality was the devotional topic yesterday and here God was showing it to me again. I wondered if Lot learned his gracious hospitable way from his uncle Abraham. This thought seemed to resonate with me. There are certain families who seem to have hospitality in their DNA. Parents seem to pass it onto their kids…true neighborly hospitality. It is a wonderful sight and a delight to be included in gatherings of that family.

As my thoughts circled back to me and my faith-life, I wondered if God could grow in me the hospitality displayed by Abraham (yesterday’s reading) and Lot today. Maybe what God teaches me will rub off on those of my inner circle.  Thus the gift of hospitality is actually multiplied.

Lord, may that be so.  In fact, Lord, I pray that all characteristics that I carry will honor and glorify You. I pray that my life would influence others to live similarly before You. And, Lord, I pray that those traits that I display that DO NOT honor You….well, Lord, I pray that You limit my ability to influence others negatively. And maybe, Lord, Your way of limiting my bad traits is to disciple me to overcome and win victory over them.

Change my life, Oh God, may it be ever true to You… Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment