Thursday, October 17: 1Thessalonians 5- 14 pithy, practical faith practices .

In rapid succession, Paul fires a series of “be’s and do’s.” Fourteen pithy, practical faith practices. Verses 14-22:

Warn those who are idle,

Encourage the timid,

Help the weak,

Be patient with everyone.

Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong,

but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.

Be joyful always;

Pray continually;

Give thanks in all circumstances, …

Do not put out the Spirit's fire;

do not treat prophecies with contempt.

Test everything.

Hold on to the good.

Avoid every kind of evil.

Want to show God you are listening? Want to live faithfully? Here are 14 faith practices you can hone in your life.

Are you ever tempted to think that faith in Jesus is only ‘pie-in-the-sky’ stuff, ethereal and mystical? If so, take a good look at this list of practical ‘bes and dos’.

God, sometimes I make following Jesus complicated and I forget the basic commands… to love You with heart, soul, mind and strength and to love others as I love myself. Paul’s words today remind me just how practical and down to earth loving You and loving others can be.

Now, Lord, help me to LOVE… in Jesus’ name I pray. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment