Friday, August 12: Deuteronomy 5- the 10 Commandments.

The 10 Commandments dominate this chapter.

Just yesterday I was teaching a class when the 10 Commandments came up.  I shared with the class that many people look at them as God restricting how we should live. The 10 Commandments are like jail cell bars keeping us confined.

But I commented that I see them more as guardrails on the side of a mountainous road. In other words the 10 Commandments are loving limits that God sets for our own wellbeing and if we live within them and if society would live within them life would be so much better. Seriously, if no one lied and always spoke truthfully image how much better the world would be. We could trust people’s word.

How much simpler would life be if no one ever stole anything.  I know it sounds like a utopia of sorts, but life would be so much better if people lived within the parameters of the 10 Commandments.

How many families are broken and destroyed because one of the adults has an affair? The hurt and pain caused by affairs is staggering. Wouldn’t the world be better if that didn’t happen?

In my view of the 10 Commandments are not jail bars confining us from ‘fun.’ Instead I think they were guardrails God erected to keep us from crashing and burning.

So as I read the Commandments I thanked the Lord that He cared enough for us that He established rules that could guide us and keep us from much pain if we obey them.

Blessed be the name of the Lord. Blessed be the name of the Lord… He is so good. He cared enough to give us these wise rules for living. Thank You, Jesus. Thank You, Father. Thank You, Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment