Saturday, February 2: Luke 1- Wilderness training.

I am reading a book by African Cardinal Robert Sarah titled, The Power of Silence Against the Dictatorship of Noise. It is an interesting but tough read; many of the Catholic writers and traditions he mentions are new to me. Anyway, in my reading yesterday, Cardinal Sarah pointed out that John the Baptist was honed by decades in the wilderness to be able to hear God’s voice. I remember thinking that I never paid any attention to John’s pre-ministry life.

Then today in my Gospel reading there it was, the lone verse about John’s early life and upbringing. And the child grew and became strong in spirit; and he lived in the wilderness until he appeared publicly to Israel (80).

Since John was about the same age as Jesus, and Jesus came to ministry about age 30, John was also 30-ish. He could easily have spent half his life in the wilderness. Did he live by himself or in some kind of community? Did he have access to scrolls of the Old Testament? Did he forage and spend his days in necessary toil and solitude? Probably but in reality we don’t know.

Jesus was sent by the Spirit into the wilderness for a time of testing prior to his coming out party and ministry years. Moses lived for decades in the wilderness shepherding his father-in-law’s flocks. Isaiah prophecies of the Lord, See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland (Isaiah 43:19).

The wilderness or desert is often a place of testing. It is a tough place where God’s people have learned the hard lessons of life with God.

I suspect that this is part of what Luke is communicating when he informs us that John lived in the wilderness. John had been tested and tried. He learned to hear God’s voice and follow God’s leading.

When Herod threatened John he didn’t fold because he was hardened by his wilderness time.

When crowds flocked to him he wasn’t swayed to an easier message because he was hardened by his time in the desert.

In a time when God’s voice was silent John heard from God and spoke for God.

Wilderness is powerful training for the person of God...

Have I spent enough time in the wilderness??? Have you???

Lord, I am a little nervous to pray... to pray for wilderness times. If I need them, Lord, send them... I pray with some fear and trembling in my voice. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment