Tuesday, February 5: Luke 3- Supporting cast.

 

Usually I find myself gravitating to Jesus, but today I wanted to think more about John, like I did a couple of chapters ago.

John is in the desert; Luke tells us, during the high-priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness (2).

In the quiet and solitude of the desert John heard God’s voice and he knew what to do. He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins (3).

John prepared the way for Jesus. It is clear from Jesus’ arrival that John knew he wasn’t the main story, simply the preparation for the main story.

John was willing to play second fiddle. He didn’t need to be the main story. He was obedient to his call, to be the preparer, the opening act before the main personality enters the stage. But unlike opening acts, John wasn’t hoping to be noticed so he could become a main act. John was content playing a small part in God’s cosmic plan of salvation.

I wonder, am I willing to do the grunt work for God, allowing others to fill the limelight? I hope so and I pray so, because more often than not, I am the supporting cast rather than the lead actor.

Lord, often it seems my role is the side role… please give me the grace to play my role well, to lift up and point to others and particularly Jesus. Lord, may I decrease so Jesus can increase. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment