Friday, March 25: 2Chronicles 24- Faithful throughout his life.

Although it is normal to focus on King Joash, I found myself considering the life of Jehoiada, the priest. Jehoiada and his wife risked their lives to hide Joash from his deranged grandmother when he was a baby. Raising him 6-years under constant threat, Jehoiada sensed from the Lord that when Joash was 7, it was time to crown him the rightful king. He then proceeded to advise and counsel King Joash the rest of his days, dying at 130! At his death the people of Jerusalem honored his faithfulness by burying him with the kings in the City of David (15).

In addition to serving as faithful priest and advisor to the king, Jehoiada also raised a faithful son, Zechariah, who followed in his father’s footsteps,  speaking God’s Word to the crown.

The text doesn’t comment on Jehoiada’s fathering prowess but the faithfulness of his son is clear in the text.  I am taking some ‘reader’s license’ and reading between the lines.

My thoughts and meditations flash between faithfulness in life’s call and faithfulness in one’s family. There shouldn’t be a divide between these two but often, sadly, there is. Heroes for God sometimes overlook their families. David, a man after God’s own heart, had a dysfunctional family.

Watching and meditating on Jehoiada gives me an example of a man who managed both career and family with grace, class and faithfulness.  That is something I aspire to do…

Lord God, thank You for including Jehoiada in Your scriptures. Lord, I pray that I, too, might live all my days faithfully before You, choosing faithfulness even at the risk of my life, and choosing faithfulness over profit or fame or worldly pleasure. Also, Lord, I pray that I live in such a way that I inspire my children to live faithfully before You as well.

Lord, I don’t know where life will take me or how long a life You have ordained for me to live. I pray that my life inspires others to walk with You. May my life bring You honor and glory… through my sovereign Lord Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment