Saturday, April 30: Hebrews 3- Fix your thoughts on Jesus

Devotionally the opening sentence attached to my heart as God’s prompting for me today. Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess (1). Immediately I began to think practically about how to fix my thoughts on Jesus today.

As a Saturday I typically don’t set an alarm, but was up with the sun at 6:30 anyway and the first thing I did was my Bible reading as I ate breakfast. So that means I have all day to fix my thoughts on Jesus. I began to think through my day…

I have some errands.  How do I fix my thoughts on Jesus as I run to this store and do this and that? I often listen to the radio as I drive in the car, maybe news items that catch my fancy can be prompters for prayer? Hmmm. As I interact with folks on my errands, I can keep an ear open to ways I can express love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control (the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22-23). This would help me keep my thoughts fixed on Jesus.

Back home as I do my chores and later relax with my family, I could live these same fruits out with them. I fix my thoughts on Jesus when I bow to pray over each meal.

Since it is Sat. night, I usually do some message review for Sunday that helps me fix my thoughts on Jesus. I could pray a quiet blessing prayer for each family member as I climb into bed…

With a little thought I can remember to fix my thoughts on Jesus. If it can work for me, it can work for you. How will you fix your thoughts on Jesus today?

Thanks, Jesus, for these simple and practical thoughts about keeping my life centered in You today as I enter my day.  Now, please help me to do these things. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment