Wednesday, May 4: Hebrews 6- Are you a land of crops or thistles?

Some land just can’t seem to produce good crops. When we visited the Dakotas, it was obvious why the US gave land-grants to people to move and farm there even into the 1900’s. As we traveled we learned that few of the grantees lasted the mandatory three years because the weather was so harsh and the land so difficult to produce a livable crop.

Hebrews uses a land analogy in verses 7-8 to encourage believers to grow in their faith. Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.

It may seem elementary but God invites us to regularly inspect our lives. Writer after writer challenge us to look within and see if we are growing in Jesus. Interestingly, the Hebrews analogy suggests that the fruit of our lives is verification of our faith.

So back to my opening question: Are you a land of crops or thistles? I believe it was Lloyd Ogilvie who asked a similar question, “If you were on trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?”

A question worthy of contemplation…

Lord, I can easily justify my life.  So I ask You, how would You evaluate my life? Lord, help me to increase the evidence of my life that I am a follower of Yours… in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment