Saturday, July 25: Mark 12- Representing God well.

As I am reading and meditating I sometimes wonder why a particular passage leaps off the page and captures my attention. This remains a bit of a mystery to me… how the Lord God speaks to me during my times with Him. Yet, I love and cherish these times… my heart & mind and God’s heart & mind wrapped in an embrace.

Today the Lord grabbed me with verses 38-40: As he taught, Jesus said, “Watch out for the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely” (38-40).

My heart cringes under the weight of this morning’s strong warning. Religious prominence is a position that the Lord scrutinizes closely. When we mere humans represent God to others, we best do it well and honorably and with integrity…

·         Not for personal show… (flowing robes and respect filled public greetings)

·         Not for personal honor… (important seats and distinction of honor)

·         Not for personal gain… (devouring widows houses)

·         Not with hypocrisy… (for show, making lengthy prayers)

My meditations turned these “nots” into “oughts” as I contemplated how religious prominence should be lived. Thoughts went in these directions. We, who represent the Lord God Almighty to others, should represent God well and live honorably and with integrity by:

·         Caring for others more than self… (love neighbor as self)

·         Honor the Lord God well, no matter what others think… (John the Baptist and his word to Herod)

·         Live reasonably and with contentment… (Jesus and apostles none of whom amassed wealth)

·         Practice what they (we) preach…

Clearly I have my meditation points and living-action points for today. Thank You, Lord!

Father, God, thank You for drawing me onto Your lap and being with me during the quiet of the morning today. Thank You for this call to integrity.  I love You… I am Yours to be used as You wish all the days You allow me to live. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment