Tuesday, July 21: Mark 8- Living on Jesus' leftovers.

I suspect that my recent trip to Africa caused me to notice a detail in this story. While in Africa if I couldn’t eat everything prepared for me, the staff at the JETS Guesthouse were more than willing to eat my leftovers. Uneaten vegetables, rice, whatever, even part of a soft drink were received with grateful thanks.  When food is scarce, all food is appreciated.

In the opening story Jesus feeds the 4000 and after everyone was satisfied, the disciples picked up seven basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over (8). I suspect this was what the disciples ate. They distributed what Jesus gave them and then they ate from the leftovers… and it was good.

I am seeing in this account that Jesus invites us to give away what He gives and through the miracle of His grace live off the leftovers, which will provide more than enough for us, his followers, to live on.

This is a radical thought. In truth, I can feel some ‘buts’ welling up inside of me…

But God, what if there isn’t enough?

But God, what if they eat all the good stuff?

But God, it’s mine…

But God…

Truth is, I have to chew on this and meditate on this thought more.

Lord, I am seeing my selfishness as I ponder Your nugget for today. I sing, “I surrender all” but my reaction to my meditation this morning about living on Jesus’ leftovers makes me realize that I am really surrendering less than all.

Show me where I need to grow and how to grow to be more like You, Jesus. In Your name, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment