Thursday, September 24: Revelation 2- Tests and testing.

 

I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false.

Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown (2 & 10).

The words ‘tested’ and ‘test’ caught my attention and I couldn’t shake them even after finishing the chapter. I did a little background work and learned they were the same original word and they mean what one would expect: examine, test, try, prove, to put to the test and the like.

In verse 2 the Ephesians tested those who claim to be apostles. Their tests showed that the people tested were not in fact apostles. I don’t know what the Ephesians used to test these imposters but I suspect it was likely something rigorous. After all it is no small matter if one is or is not an apostle. I wondered if we are appropriately testing pastors, guest speakers and the like who come into our parishes? Are they who they say they are? Are they faithful representatives of Jesus? Do we ‘test’ their messages? Let’s face it even honest faithful people can get some things wrong scripturally…! Testing of ‘would be’ apostles was one thing the Ephesian church got right! Do we???

In verse 10 Jesus alerts people of Smyrna that the devil will put some of you in prison to test you. I don’t like hardship. I don’t like pain. I don’t think anyone does. Nonetheless, it comes sometimes and at least in the case of the Smyrna Church, Satan’s hand was behind some of the hardships, pain and imprisonment testing the metal of the believers’ faith. When I go through hardships, am I faithful? That is the Lord’s Word to SmyrnaBe faithful, even to the point of death.

Those last words hit me… even to the point of death. How faithful am I when my faith is put to the test?

Testing is a good thing. It can protect us from wrong preaching, teaching and leaders and it can reveal places in my life that require shoring up and strengthening.

Tests are rarely easy, but they can be beneficial… that is what I am hearing in my time with the Lord this morning.

Holy Spirit, strengthen me so that I pass every test to the glory and honor of your name, my God –Father, Jesus Spirit. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment