Friday, July 1: Numbers 11- Seeking contentment.

I chose to meditate on verses 4-6: The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, “If only we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!”

How often do I, do we as humans, wail, “God, what you have given me (us) is not enough? God, why can’t we have …?”

All too often I am not satisfied with what the Lord provides. “Lord, I should have a higher salary. Lord, I need a better car. Lord, I should have…” Contentment is not easy to find.

More, better, higher drive far too much of my life and the lives of people in my circle of friends and associates.

Advertising feeds this beast, subtly and not-so-subtly, enticing us to the new and better.

Steve Jobs and Apple created markets for things we never knew we needed. I own or have owned most of their innovative products. Did I need them?  Probably not but it was certainly nice and my life has changed to the point where some of them may very well be needs now. As I write I am traveling outside of the US and my iPhone is my link to the world and the office. And while the smartphone has changed life for many people in the world, do I need the iPhone 6s when it comes out?

As I gaze in the mirror of Scripture, I think, “Oh, those Israelites… they are so ungrateful! Couldn’t the miraculous provision of manna be enough for them?!” But don’t I do the same thing when I crave the newest, the brightest, the fastest?

I think it was Solomon who said, “There is nothing new under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 1:9). Certainly this is true with temptation. Oh, specific forms of temptation may change but the root temptation has been around for millennia.

This Scripture is calling me to seek contentment and beware of covetousness. How about you? What might these verses or this chapter be saying to you?

Oh, God, help me find my rest in You.  May it be, Lord, that when I put my head on the pillow at night I thank You for what I received during the day, that I confess where I have strayed in thought, word, deed or desire. Then as I close my eyes with contentment in my heart, may praise for You, Lord, be on my lips. May it be so, Lord, may it be so…

In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment