Friday, July 15: Numbers 23- The Lord's protection.

There is an interesting line to open Balaam’s first message. Then Balaam spoke his message: “Balak brought me from Aram, the king of Moab from the eastern mountains. ‘Come,’ he said, ‘curse Jacob for me; come, denounce Israel.’ How can I curse those whom God has not cursed? How can I denounce those whom the LORD has not denounced? (7-8).

Balaam, speaking words for the Lord says, How can I curse those whom God has not cursed? How can I denounce those whom the LORD has not denounced?

There are things of the Spirit I wish I understood better than I do. One is the idea of blessings and curses. And this line has me wondering about curses. I know words carry certain power. People who constantly speak negatively about themselves, or people who have had a parent, for example, constantly speak negative words to them carry deep wounds, wounds which affect their lives negatively. It is not uncommon for these people to require prayer ministry and counseling to gain victory over these wounds.

Is this negative speech ‘cursing’ and, if so, how can I understand this cursing in light of the word the Lord spoke through Balaam?

I work regularly in Africa among people who were raised in African Tribal Religions filled with witchdoctors, incantations, and various cult and occult practices. These tribal healers have power, not power from the Lord, but power nonetheless.

Does today’s sentences from God’s Word mean that as a child of God, I am protected from curses… particularly the curses of people who want to harm me? It certainly seems as if this is so.

Wisdom reminds me not to be reckless and to venture into or take on spiritual powers that are beyond my spiritual maturity.  But this passage offers a counter truth, reminding me that God’s protection is over me as a follower of Jesus and heir with Jesus of God’s Kingdom (Romans 8:15, Ephesians 1) and I need not fear the curses of the enemy, How can I curse those whom God has not cursed? How can I denounce those whom the LORD has not denounced?

Lord, I trust that You have my life in Your hands. Even though I do not fully understand curses and how they work, I hold on to this word You spoke through Balaam’s lips. I will not fear the curses of those who seek to war against You and harm me in the battle. I will maintain my strength in You, trusting You, living and serving You, who reigns forever and ever. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment