Wednesday, July 20: Numbers 27-Faithful to the end; a heart for the people.

Reading the opening books of the Old Testament and following, in particular, Moses, I am blessed and amazed how deeply faithful Moses was a leader and man of God. Years ago he blew it and sinned. At the time God told him that he would not see the fulfillment of God’s promise. He would not cross into the Promised Land. Moses never pouted, whined, or complained. He understood sin had consequences and that the Lord is right and righteous in His judgments.

Moses continued to lead the people with a heart for them and for the Lord.

Now on the edge of the Promised Land God’s judgment is about to be meted out and Moses learns this is his end. Again, no whining, complaining or back talk, Moses’ sole comment is for the people, that God would appoint someone to lead them. These are the people who complained, challenged Moses’ call and leadership, and who never appreciated Moses for all he did. And yet Moses was magnanimous as he went to his grave…

Then the LORD said to Moses, “Go up this mountain in the Abarim Range and see the land I have given the Israelites. After you have seen it, you too will be gathered to your people, as your brother Aaron was, for when the community rebelled at the waters in the Desert of Zin, both of you disobeyed my command to honor me as holy before their eyes.” (These were the waters of Meribah Kadesh, in the Desert of Zin.)

Moses said to the LORD, “May the LORD, the God who gives breath to all living things, appoint someone over this community to go out and come in before them, one who will lead them out and bring them in, so the LORD’s people will not be like sheep without a shepherd” (12-17).

Moses inspires me, a man of faith, a man of conviction, a man of honor and forgiveness…

Lord, I sit this morning asking You to grace me with an abundance of character You gave to Moses. Lord, by Your sovereign call I lead a band of Your people and I pray for the character of Moses in leading, despite being human and making mistakes.  I will honor You and Your judgments in all things, that I will accept any and all consequence of my own sin with utter humility before You, that I will be faithful all the days of my life and that I will love and care for the people You have placed under my care until my last breath. No matter what Your hand ordains for me… I pray to be Yours without reservation. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment