Friday, August 3: Proverbs 27- The Testing of Praise.

Initially I was surprised by verse 21. The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but people are tested by their praise. As I was reading the proverb I anticipated the final word to be 'trials.' I was not expecting praise. But there it was. So I regrouped and re-read the proverb again, this time pondering its actual ending.

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but people are tested by their praise.

As I sat and thought, the truth and power of the statement seeped into my bones. Praise does test us…

Praise goes straight to our heads, inflating ego, which among other side effects, causes us to depend on self more and God or others less. Big mistake.

Praise can become like a drug we crave, so we begin living for praise rather than living for righteousness.

I am reminded of Romans 12:3: For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment…

Too much praise or praise taken in too deeply can cause us to puff up our view of self. The sober judgment Paul mentions is an honest appraisal of self.

Honesty, integrity… these can help us handle praise appropriately.

Praise is a testing of fire for the soul, the person… the writer of this proverb is correct.

It has been helpful to dwell on this proverb today.

Thank you, Lord God, for supplying my needs through Your Word. Continue to teach and instruct me.  And Lord, create in me a learners pliable heart. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment