Saturday, November 4: Revelation 6- The issue of martyrdom.

The message of John’s revelation is a tough one. Imagery, death, wrath and martyrdom fill its pages.

Martyrdom caught my attention reading today. Verses 9-11: When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the full number of their fellow servants, their brothers and sisters, were killed just as they had been.

The words I bolded make it clear that more martyrdom was still to come. Many apparently had already died for their faith, but they were not to be avenged until the full number of their fellow servants… were killed just as they had been.

Martyrdom is not something I think about often, if at all. Being a Christian is so safe in my country and community. Even where I go in Nigeria, I know there is religious violence and some horrible things happen. But still I don’t know people who live with the impending doom of martyrdom. Still around the world people are martyred for their Christian faith (and other faiths, I might add).

If I am listening to the words from Revelation correctly, martyrdom should not surprise us. As horrible as it is, the enemy doesn't play fair and having people pay with their lives for following Jesus is no big deal to the Devil. He is evil and vile to the core.

My particular world would have to change dramatically for me to be legitimately concerned about having to give my life for my faith… but that is not the case for brothers and sisters in other parts of the world.

I wonder when the full number will be fulfilled and Jesus will return.

Until then I pray for the fullness of the Spirit to live faithfully, advancing the will and way of Jesus…

Lord, give me strength, give me courage to live for You, to serve You with vigor and to bring honor to You by the way I live and the things I do. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment