Thursday, November 2: Revelation 4- Indescribable.

How do you describe something that is beyond description? That is what I felt when I entered chapter 4.

John seems to be describing something that is beyond human eyes to take in and human words to describe.

After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.” At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it. And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and ruby. A rainbow that shone like an emerald encircled the throne. (1-3)

What does it mean to have the appearance of jasper and ruby? What is a rainbow shining like an emerald?

There is more later in the chapter that is simply beyond human ability to describe.

I thought how does one describe seeing God? God, the One beyond all things, is wonder-full and cannot be reduced to words on a page.

This chapter and the next few fill me with wonder and awe every time I read them. The inexpressible imagery... the simplicity of worship and utter devotion to the One who sits on the throne and to the Lamb.

My heart soars. My God is front and center. And the inability to adequately describe the Lord only adds to the beauty and wonder.

Our God, my God, the God of the Bible is beyond description. Halleluiah!

I don’t want a God who is humanly fathomable, I want to serve a BIG, Awesome, Beyond-Description God and that is Who I meet in these pages.

Oh, Lord God, forgive me for all the times I try to reduce You to something completely knowable, to a formula, a precept. You are beyond description. You are great and awesome… You are God who reigns over all because You created all things.

I praise You, Lord. I am reduced to a humble ball of nothing before You and joy fills me heart as I worship You.

Through Jesus Christ, my Savior’s name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment