Monday, January 14: Joel 1 Where do you turn in time of trouble?.

How do you process disaster? Where do you turn in times of trouble, yes, even times of extreme trouble? I had to stop and ponder my own questions.  Where do I turn when trouble strikes?

Life is asking this question of Israel. Israel has been ravaged by locusts, hordes of locusts. Fields are destroyed. Livestock is suffering. Where do you turn in times of trouble? Joel turns to the Lord.

To you, LORD, I call, for fire has devoured the pastures in the wilderness and flames have burned up all the trees of the field (19).

Five words say it all for Joel. To you, LORD, I call.

I don’t want to sign up for trial by disaster, but the questions still remain. Who will I, who will you turn to in a time of disaster –personal, family, national, what have you?

I would like to think I would be like Joel and turn to the Lord. I hope that a faith honed over the decades will find its anchor in God more than self or ability or ingenuity. I hope and pray this is so, but do we ever truly know until the time of testing comes?

This chapter is leaving me pensive, thoughtful, wondering.

My sense is that I would turn to Jesus, but I don’t want to be arrogant or prideful about this because I know pride comes before a fall (Proverbs 16:18). So I trust that my faith will be strong enough to weather any storm life throws at me. At the same time I will continue to lean into my faith in Jesus. I will read His word, pray, worship, meditate on the Word and try to serve Him faithfully believing He is with me and will never let me know.

Lord, as I sit today, I say again, ‘I put my life in Your hands, Jesus’. Lead, guide and direct. I pray this in Your name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment