Thursday, January 24: Amos 7- Diligence is required.

As a person who works with wood and has refinished basements and built sheds, decks and the like, the imagery of the plum line caught my attention. If my work isn’t plumb and square, then it is out of whack… windows, doors, walls, cabinets won’t fit properly.

A plumb line is a tool to square things so they fit.

Israel was out of whack… she was no longer square with God’s directives. Where God wanted things one-way, Israel was crooked.

For this reason Israel was being judged. God called her back time and again. But Israel rejected the Lord’s appeals. It was as if the construction people disregarded the engineer’s designs and blueprints. Not only that when the engineer pointed out some problems the owner/construction crew refused to make the necessary corrections, so God is now condemning the building. It will be torn down because it is unsafe.

Israel is being torn down… they have disregarded all of God’s directives and warnings.

It is clear from verses 10-11 that Amos’ ministry included more than the words of this book. Apparently he spoke directly to the crown and foretold Jeroboam’s downfall, which was rejected by the court.

Unfortunately for the court, Amos was speaking God’s Word and God’s Word will come to pass. What God has said will happen…will happen.

Stepping back, verses like the 10 Commandments, Jesus’ repeated call to ‘love one another’, Galatians 5 and the ‘Fruit of the Spirit’ flood my thoughts followed by the question, “Is my life square and plumb with God’s revealed will for living?” Does my life and living square with God’s Word?

It is a constant battle to keep my life square with God’s Word. Vigilance, reflection, contemplation, and review of my life against the direction in God’s Word is a constant responsibility. Some days it is a chore to hold my life up to the scrutiny of God and His Word. Some days it feels as natural as breathing. Either way it is a necessity. It is all too easy to allow the push and pull of the world around me to knock myself out of plumb with the Lord.

This is why I sit regularly and read, study, consider and reflect upon God’s Word. Diligence is required.

Lord, I pray for strength to keep at it… to put in my time, inspecting my life for flaws, cracks and areas that are not square with You and Your Word. Send Your Holy Spirit to be Your engineer inspecting my life to make sure it is safe and strong. And prompt me, Lord, to listen to Your Holy Spirit that I may remain plumb with You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment