Tuesday, January 15: Joel 2- Loved by God.

The chapter ends with the lines used by Peter on Pentecost recorded in Acts 2. Because of familiarity it was tempting to pause with those verses and ponder. But before I read those words ,verses 12-14 caught my eye, so I returned to them for my meditations.

“Even now,” declares the LORD, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity. Who knows? He may turn and relent and leave behind a blessing— grain offerings and drink offerings for the LORD your God.

Following immediately on the heels of the destruction by an invading army, the Lord offers a gracious hand to Israel. God invites them to return, to come home and be restored. At the heart of God’s invitation to return are very familiar words, words that show up numerous places in the Old Testament. Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love.

Those words paint for me a compelling image for God. Who would not want to run into the arms of one who is gracious, compassionate and slow to anger? I certainly would. Honestly, how wonderful would it be to be embraced by an all-powerful, all-knowing God who is known to be gracious, compassionate and slow to anger?

I kept turning those 3 descriptors over and over in my head.

Gracious… full of grace, extending love and care when it is not returned by the other party.

Compassion… caring, heart for the hurting,

Slow to anger… I have met some people quick to anger, they are NOT pleasant to be around. Life in their orbit is like walking on eggshells, not wanting to provoke them in the slightest way. The Lord God is the opposite of that, the kind of person you can be around and feel safe.

This is our God, this is my God. He invites me into relationship with Him creating a safe and comfortable place to be. And even when I have strayed, like Israel did, the Lord always welcomes His family back when we come to our senses and repent.

What a gift.

What a God…

Lord, I thank and bless you because You have welcomed me back with open arms time and again. I praise You and I bless You. And I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment