Monday, January 21: Amos 4- God's heart for the poor.

I found myself thinking... wow, how much God loves and cares for the poor!

Amos begins lambasting the women of Israel for neglecting the poor in order to live in personal comfort. Hear this word, you cows of Bashan on Mount Samaria, you women who oppress the poor and crush the needy and say to your husbands, “Bring us some drinks!” (1)

The remainder of the chapter is God’s response to these people who oppress the poor and crush the needy. It is not a response from the Lord I would want to face!!!

God’s indictment of these women got me thinking about my life and my treatment of the poor. If I don’t want to fall under a similar judgment then I need to evaluate how I treat people who are poor and needy.

First I spent a few moments considering my attitude toward the poor and needy? I ask questions like:

  • Do I dis them?
  • Do I think ill of people simply because they lack?
  • Do I assume they are lazy simply because they have needs?

Where does my heart go when I think about or hear reports about or see people who are poor and needy?

Next I considered my actions:

  • How do I treat people who are needy?
  • How do I speak with them? Do I speak with them?
  • Do I feel compassion for them?.. and then,
  • Do I help them as I am able?

How about you? What are your attitudes and actions toward people who need help?

Lord God, I can have a stony heart. Help me to grow more like You, to be more helpful and caring to people who have needs. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment