Saturday, October 30: Esther 4-Problems, trouble, how do you respond?

And who knows but that you have come to [your] position for such a time as this?" (14).

Esther was not looking to be a heroine. She, like most of us, was likely living her life one day at a time. Presently she was growing insecure about her position as queen.  It had been 30 days since the king last invited her into his presence. Out of nowhere pops this crisis for her people. Could she play a role?  Should she play a role? What should she do?

For a brief moment she entertains doing nothing. “Let’s ride it out and see what happens,” may have been her thought. Her uncle’s words above burst her bubble, “OK, I’m in.  I’ll speak to the king. But first…” But first let’s pray… “Uncle, you have the community pray for me and I and my maid will pray. Then I’ll go to the king.” Esther is talking serious prayer, prayer + fasting for 3 days!

Reading Esther’s story unfold drives me to ponder how I react during times of trouble or problem. Do I reach out to my Lord or just try to handle it on my own?

My brief review is a mixed answer. Sometimes I look to myself. Sometimes I look to the Lord. I can think of examples of both. The Spirit’s nudge… “Look to Me, I will never leave you nor forsake you. I will always be there for and with you.”

Not every problem requires 3 days of fasting and prayer but asking the Lord for guidance is ALWAYS a wise choice…

Lord God, Thank You for Your promise to be with me (us) always. Thank You for the invitationto always be attentive to my (our) prayers. Develop in me the desire and habit to talk with and consult with You as I live my life, during times of trouble and times of calm. In Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment