Saturday, October 9: Ezra 9- Dealing with the dirty stuff of life

An honest assessment of self… those were the first words that came to mind after reading this chapter. The leaders presented the problem honestly and forthrightly to Ezra and he applied no sugar-coating. Appropriately he crumbled under the weight of the community’s sin in shame, disappointment, and disobedience.

Honest assessment of self (or in this case honest assessment of the community) is the first step toward dealing with the dirty stuff of life.

Ezra, who apparently wore his emotions on his sleeves, fell on his face before his God and stayed there all afternoon. Then, at the evening sacrifice, I rose from my self-abasement, with my tunic and cloak torn, and fell on my knees with my hands spread out to the LORD my God and prayed… (5-6a).

Following an honest assessment, Ezra models a willingness to go with God in sincere, frank and heartfelt prayer and confession.

Two stages in dealing with the dirty stuff of life: (1) honest assessment and (2) sincere, frank and heartfelt prayer/confession… that’s a recipe for dealing with the dirty stuff of life.

Think about it.

O, God, it is so much easier to avoid the dirty stuff of my life. Forgive me for going easy on myself. Holy Spirit, pour strength into my bones so that I might deal with the stuff in my life that dishonors You, the Father and Jesus, my Lord. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment