Tuesday, August 2: Proverbs 12- Discipline & Correction

   As the individual Proverbs rolled off the page, I found myself returning to verse 1. It seemed to have glue that stuck to my soul. Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid (1).

I can’t say I am a big fan of discipline but an honest review of my life shows me how important apt discipline has been in my life. Discipline has shaped me… from my parents, to my football coaches calling me out or instructing the entire team, to friends showing me blind spots in my life or to walking with the Lord. I’ve been married over 30 years (yikes!) and through those years my wife repeatedly has been a consistent and loving voice of correction and growth in my life. I can’t call it discipline per se, but her observations and feedback have shaped me into a much better and more loving and caring person.

Discipline and correction from trusted people in my life is still uncomfortable when administered –at least it is for me but has proven to be invaluable.

Now, as far as ‘loving discipline’ I’m not sure I am there yet. At least I don’t yet love the act of being disciplined. But the results… all I can say is I am a better and wiser person for it.

Solomon… thank you for these pearls…

Lord, help me to remain open to correction and discipline… all my life long until I enter glory with You and there made perfect so I will no longer need it. Hallelujah! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment