Friday, November 21: Ecclesiastes 12- The final word.

Ecclesiastes has been difficult to follow. The writer seems pessimistic, even fatalistic at times. But in chapter 12 his closing words give light and meaning to the rest.

Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, “I find no pleasure in them” … Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil (1, 13-14).

Put in my own words, I might put the writer’s advice like this: Before you get distracted with life, before your faculties begin to fade and fail, remember your Creator. And by remember I mean, fear God and keep His Commandments.

And there you have it, the final words of a brilliant man: fear God and keep His Commandments and begin now while you can!

Question is, Are you (am I) wise enough to heed these words???

Lord, worldly wisdom can often lead us away from You. Overthinking can lead us away from You. Trust in self and human wisdom can lead us away from You. O Lord, those simple word are true… fear God and keep Your Commandments. May I follow these words, I pray in and for Jesus Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment