Thursday, November 13: Ecclesiastes 5- Vows.

Vows and riches, two topics the writer of Ecclesiastes tackles in this morning’s chapter. Two topics that impact my life regularly.

Either would provide worthwhile time with the Lord, but vows spoke louder and caught my attention.

Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. … When you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it. Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, “My vow was a mistake.” … (2-6).

Vows, words spoken and promises given to God must NEVER be done in a hasty or rash manner. They are simply too important.

How often this truth is spoken in scripture. The most prominent and demanding and disturbing lesson about vows comes in the account of Jepthah in Judges 10. Today’s words from the Teacher reinforce the important of keeping the vows we make to the Lord. As he says, It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it.

My mind led me to considering vows I have made to the Lord… high on the list is my vow to love and care for my wife. There are others.

Lord, may my words to You be few and my heart be in them all. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment