Friday, April 15: Romans 6- Take a look at your life.

As I ponder this chapter I realize that Paul, remember he is speaking for God, has one aim… to have ‘Jesus-following people’ stop sinning and live righteously. That’s the point.

His basic message goes like this.  Now that you have been raised to life with Christ, you have the ability and Christ’s resurrection power to choose not to sin, and therefore to choose to live rightly.

He reminds us that now that we are in Christ, we are dead to sin and alive to Christ (11). He teaches that we are no longer under the law but under grace (15) which means we are no longer slaves to sin but rather slaves to righteousness (15-17). To which he concludes You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness (18).

Such is the message of Chapter Six… then the Spirit gave me nudge saying, “move the teaching from head to will.” Are there facets of my life that I allow to still be controlled by sin? Are there portions of my life where I live to sin rather than for Jesus? These are not simple questions to answer. They take contemplation and introspections and possibly the voice of a friend speaking into my life. Remember, too, Jesus called you ‘friend’. Invite him to speak into your life today. As Lent heads into its final week, consider asking Jesus for one area of life, one habit, one sin-pattern that you still maintain and need to change…

Jesus, Your death brought me life. I want to live for You. I DO NOT want to life for sin any longer. Help me make right choices. May my ears be more and more attentive to the voice of the Holy Spirit and may my will be surrendered more and more to Your will, my Master. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment