Saturday, April 23: Romans 13- Learn to love

With April 15, ‘tax time’ just passed, the commendation to pay taxes, revenue and give honor seemed timely. Yet God’s voice spoke clearest to me with the next verse and the explanations that followed. Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law (8). The debt to love one another… what an interesting turn of phrase. I understand that debt is a way of life for many but not so much for me. Debt makes me uncomfortable. I avoid it like the plague and when it is necessary, I try to pay it off early. So when I read this verse, I immediately heard God say, “Bill, treat love like you do debt! Work hard to pay it off.” In other words do everything possible to love…

Then I kept reading… and the practicalities of love unfolded: The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law (9-10).

Love does no harm to its neighbor… now that’s practical, that’s a definition I can understand, albeit a definition based on the negative.

Then I recalled some words from yesterday which described love from the positive. Love must be sincere. …Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. … Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. …Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone (12:9-18).

Okay, Lord, I think it get it… learn to love. That’s what you are asking of me. Learn to love…

Lord, on the eve of Easter, with Good Friday still in my thoughts, Your desire that I learn to love seems fitting. After all that’s what Jesus did for me and the world.  He showed us what true love is. He spoke truth. He was compassionate to those in need. And He sacrificed His life so that we could be forgiven and find peace and a relationship with You, our Heavenly Father.

Now, Lord, You want me to do similarly… I get it.

But, Lord, I also know I need your help to do so. So much in me and the influences of my world pushes me to do the direct opposite. Please send Your Holy Spirit with a countering voice and strength to live as Jesus would have me life… Please… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment