Tuesday, April 26: Romans 15- Build up.

One of the marks of converted believers is a heart to build up others rather than tear them down. Easier said than done. We all like things our way… we like our seats, our music, our colors, our ‘this’ and our ‘that’.

Things flare up when couples build houses and compromises have to be made on everything from flooring, to faucet design to bathroom tile. Flare ups show up in “remote wars” as family members vie for what station is watched on the TV. I have seen it in communities over “fence rules” for the subdivision.  And the list goes on. Unfortunately it happens even in churches.

Understanding this and knowing the situation in the church in Roman, Paul writes some strong words: We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up (1-2).

Where the strong normally enforce their will, Paul presents a servant approach to conflicting issues.You who are strong, please bear with the failing of the weak and build up your neighbor! Now that’s a different approach!

I print verse 2 again: Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

Well, the Holy Spirit began to burrow into my life. How do I treat others, particularly those with whom I disagree? When I feel I am right (one aspect of believing I am the ‘strong’ one) how do I treat those I feel are wrong? The last four words hit particularly hard, do I build him/her up?

We may still disagree.  We may still discuss, even argue, our points but what manner do I project as we live side by side in the church together…

Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. Those are words I can put into practice today!

Lord, help me to be a builder today… a builder of lives and a builder of people. Let this thought infuse my words, my body language and my heart. Show me specific moments today when I can choose to build up rather than tear down. Help me to be a people-builder. In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment