Monday, September 20: 2Kings 25- No place for God.

My heart stopped a beat when I read verse 9, He set fire to the temple of the LORD, the royal palace and all the houses of Jerusalem. Every important building he burned down. The Holy of Holies was God’s dwelling place on earth… gone, burned to the ground, destroyed. God’s dwelling obliterated!

Obviously, this doesn’t affect God.  It is not as if God is dead. But the impact on God’s people is well devastating. Where do they go to connect with God, to offer sacrifices for sin, to fulfill vows to the Lord? 2 Chronicles 7:14 promises, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. The Lord spoke these words at the dedication of the temple. With the temple destroyed where do they turn?

I tried to imagine what it would be like to have the Holy Spirit pulled from my life and the lives of all God’s people… no presence of God, no voice of the Almighty. Likely a bit overstated, that is essentially the punishment God inflicted on His disobedient people. His presence withdrawn for a season.

O, Lord God, I am so thankful that I do not live under the Old Covenant but under the new. I am so thankful that You have promised never to leave us or forsake us. I cannot imagine trying to walk this life without You. I bless and thank You for Jesus, the author and perfector of my faith. Jesus, perfect me that I might grow closer and closer to You, my Lord and my Savior and amazingly, my friend. In Your name I pray. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment