Monday, September 27: 2Peter 1- Ineffective and unproductive, NO.

My eyes stuck on verse 8.  It hit me when I first read it and my eyes returned to it after completing the chapter. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Who wants to be ineffective and unproductive?  That was my first thought. I certainly don’t, neither do I know anyone who sets that as their goal.

My thoughts expanded from that center like ripples from a rock tossed in a lake. Ineffective and unproductive at what… Work? Relationships? What? Ineffective and unproductive in my knowledge of my Lord Jesus Christ…. Well, I certainly don’t want that either but it is an interesting thought and one I wouldn’t normally consider.

Unproductive in my knowledge of Jesus? Hmmm… that certainly fires off all kinds of associations in my thoughts. It suggests that I am not bearing fruit (a literal meaning for the word unproductive), that my life is not making a difference for Jesus and His kingdom, that my life and witness is not touching the lives of others. I certainly do not want that and so the circle widens further…

Peter says to keep myself from being ineffective and unproductive, I should make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love (5-7). That’s quite a ‘to-do’ list; far too much to write on this morning but a wonderful opportunity to continue chewing on today.

Before I pray one last thought comes. I notice the opening words of the list, make every effort … this list is not simply some helpful suggestions, they are actions to give my life to today and every day. Now I need to pray…

O, Lord God, it is easy to cut and paste this list, even to contemplate it but living it, that’s a challenge. It will take every effort on my behalf. It will take dedication over the long haul on my behalf. It will take… Lord, please give me the strength to keep on task, to keep applying myself to this instruction. In Jesus’ name and for His sake and the growth of His kingdom, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment