Tuesday, September 14: 2Kings 20- Dealing with our death.

At some point most of us will be forced to deal with the inevitability and reality of death –our death. Unless an accident sweeps us away unexpectedly, the certainty of death will come knocking.

Death is not something I think much about but as the calendars have turned and my years have grown, I have found that thinking about death sneaks into my consciousness at times. A few years ago when a college buddy’s wife died of cancer, wonderings of death invaded my thoughts. When another friend’s wife was killed in a freak auto accident, more thoughts of dying snuck in. Without being morbid, death is a reality.

Hezekiah, one of the most faithful kings in the history of Judah gets ‘a word’ that death looms. In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, "This is what the LORD says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover." Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD, "Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." And Hezekiah wept bitterly (1-3). And Hezekiah clings to life this side of eternity with tenacious fear.

Honestly I am surprised by Hezekiah’s reaction. There is a part of me that reacted, “That’s not very faithful Hezekiah?!?” Another part of me thought, “Who am I to judge his reaction?” I have never come so close to death.  How can I know how I will react, how anyone –with faith or without- will react?

Side bar musing: I have read this passage at least once every year for 35 years. I don’t ever recall contemplating Hezekiah’s reaction of impending death.  Yet another example of how thoughts of death sneak into my mind as the years roll on.

Back to my main musings… death is a reality. And I believe that through faith in Jesus I will be invited into heaven when death comes. I believe that my future eternity in heaven will far surpass anything life offers this side of eternity. And I believe that until death comes, God has things for me to do to bring Him honor and glory.

So what are your thoughts on death? And do you have certainty of heaven when you die? If you aren’t sure, let me remind you the one sure and certain way to be at peace with your eternal future is to put your faith and trust in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. Think about it and check out Romans 10:9-13, John 1:12, 20:30 and many others).

Lord, as I sit here before You this morning I do not fear death… (I can’t say the same thing about the process of dying). All I ask Lord is that when that time comes for me that You give me grace to die in a manner that exalts You and my God and Father, Lord and Savior, Comforter and Counselor… in Jesus name I pray, Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment