Saturday, September 11: 2Kings 18- On what are you basing your confidence?

In the middle of this chapter a question jumped out at me. It was a defining moment in the story and it is a question that cut to my heart regarding my life and how I live it. In verse 19 the Assyrian general shouts out to Hezekiah King of Judah, On what are you basing this confidence of yours?

Was Hezekiah going to trust in his wisdom and military strategy or would he trust in the Lord or in something or someone else, like allies? The chapter ends without us finding out how Hezekiah answers that question…

The chapter break provides a dramatic pause for us to wrestle with similar questions:

  • On what are you basing your confidence?
  • On what are you building your life?
  • What saves you in times of trouble?

These questions are worth pondering, they burrow into and expose our life foundation… is it yourself, your wit, your training, your ingenuity, your smarts or street saavy? Is your life foundation your family, friends or loved ones? Is it your wealth? Is it your relationship with the Lord or is it something else still???

I cannot answer this for you nor you for me.

Before you trek off to the rest of your day, spend some time searching deeply into your life. On what is it built?

Lord, it is easy to skirt around tough questions, to answer them shallowly and without real reflection. Today Your word has posed one of those questions. Give me the chutzpa to run to and embrace Your probing…because my answer is crucial. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment