Friday, February 10: Judges 7- Stop, look and listen.

One of the themes running through this chapter is the tendency for humans to take the credit due the Lord. When we do this we begin to believe we are in control and we can do things in our own strength without the Lord. The sin of Adam and Eve rises up again and again.

In verse 2 the issue blazes with all its heat, The LORD said to Gideon, “You have too many men. I cannot deliver Midian into their hands, or Israel would boast against me, ‘My own strength has saved me.’ This issue continues to burn through the end of the chapter.

So the chapter begs me to probe and ask the question, Am I relying on myself, my ingenuity, my smarts, my training, etc. or am I relying on the Lord?

As I ponder this I have to think situation by situation. I am a mixed bag, sometimes faithful, sometimes not. So sometimes I rely on the Lord and sometimes I plow ahead in my own strength.

One significant indicator is whether I pause to check in with the Lord… When I do I am much more likely to listen and then follow His lead.  However when I jump in without checking in, more often than not, those are the times I go it my own way…

When I was growing up there were safety ads on TV: Stop, Look & Listen. There was even a jingle about stopping and waiting until the light turned green before crossing the street. This is good advice for walking faithfully with the Lord.

Lord, help me to STOP, LOOK & LISTEN … to pause and look to You and listen for Your guidance rather than forge forward in my strength. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment