Wednesday, February 22: Judges 17- When we lose God's word.

The story of Judges just grows stranger and stranger. This account of Micah is breaking so many of God’s laws and to make matters worse, the people in this story think they are being faithful. Micah, the main character in this account, goes so far as to say, “Now I know that the LORD will be good to me, since this Levite has become my priest” (13). And this is in response to setting up an idol with a false priesthood!

I sit stunned. When we step away from God’s Word, when we stop allowing God’s Word to be our center and our base, there is no limit to the error and heresy we can engage BELIEVING we are being faithful.

I am not talking about matters of difference in interpretation. I am speaking to out and out heresy, wrong thinking and wrong teaching!

While I know not everyone believes the Bible is the inspired true word of God, people who profess to believe in Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit must –and I truly mean ‘must’ –anchor themselves to God’s Word, the Bible. There is no Christian faith without God’s Word as our guide. And we must allow the Word of God to define our right and wrong, our ‘dos and don’ts’, our practices and our avoidances.

Today’s reading reminds me how far people can stray from the truth if they assume they know it, but don’t actually know what it says.

Oh, God, my first prayer is that I stay connected to your Word as truth, that I sit with it, study it and allow it to guide my thinking and my doing.

My second prayer is that we, Your church, will return to Your Word, that we will sit with it, study it and allow it to guide us in our thinking and doing.

I pray this in Jesus’ name who said, But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash. (Matthew 7:26-27).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment