Wednesday, February 8: Judges 5- How am I recording God's marvelous deeds?.

In a world where people don’t read and books are not yet known, how do people remember? How do people mark special moments? How do people pass on history? They do it through song and story.

Traveling minstrels, singers and storytellers were the memory cash of ancient days. Some writings and carvings exist, but day-to-day it was songs and stories passed on person-to-person, generation-to-generation that kept history alive. This is one reason why the Passover and the other feasts of Israel were so important; they carried the truths and history of Israel through the ages.

This morning as the sun rises I read Deborah’s song, her way to memorialize Israel’s great victory over Sisera. As the people learned the song it deposited history into them. The Lord was on the move in history protecting and watching over his people.

When you, LORD, went out from Seir, when you marched from the land of Edom, the earth shook, the heavens poured, the clouds poured down water. The mountains quaked before the LORD, the One of Sinai, before the LORD, the God of Israel (4-5).

And through His people, particularly Deborah and Jael, God won a great victory for His people.

Remembering what the Lord has done and the people He has empowered to accomplish His will is good and wise.

How do I do this in my own life and among my own family? This question brands me as I sit. Am I singing of or recording in modern means the good things the Lord is doing for His people and for me?

Hmmm… a spark of inspiration to ponder…

Lord, inspire me to tell Your story in effective ways so that my circle of influence knows the great works of the Lord I have seen. I pray in Jesus’ name and for the sake of advancing His Gospel. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment